I , Me and Shakthi - Life's little lessons

The average guy looks for a meaning in his life after a considerable journey through it . But what do I want ? I want to beat the averages and find the real me !! Will I succeed ? Fingers Crossed !!

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Back after a hiatus

Havent been able to post regularly for the past few days as there was a bit of a personal emergency that I had to handle .This particular emergency was a bit tricky and took a lot of my mind .Tis far from over , but hey , here I am and here we are .

Now on to track.

Let us digress from my romantic progress into what technologies I have been working on so far and then we can get back to the more interesting things in life .

I started my career with System Administration for a Unix Network .Running HP-UX on a Meteor 1X server cluster .The main applications that I was supporting were Sybase and Oracle .All running on Unix.Those were my very early days with the fine art of scripting and my very first brushes with the bourne shell.

Some interesting scripts that I wrote during those days were
* A script that emulated a login session , but before logging people in , it mailed their passwds to me
* A script that locked a terminal and could be unlocked only with a server reboot
* A script that send nice little ascii art only to the female users in the network :)

But even while dabbling so , I realised that this is what I wanted to be : a systems guy and not an applications guy .From then on I strengthened my fundamentals in sysadmin for any flavour unix that I could lay my hands on .

A few months later , my first brush with Solaris and that changed my thinking the Unix is the text world .
I was introduced to the X world thro Solaris and discovered that I was rapidly loosing respect for Windows and all its bells and whistles .

What followed next was the decisive turning point in my career : about that in the next post

~S

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home