I , Me and Shakthi - Life's little lessons

The average guy looks for a meaning in his life after a considerable journey through it . But what do I want ? I want to beat the averages and find the real me !! Will I succeed ? Fingers Crossed !!

Monday, March 05, 2007

And then it happened

It is a great ability to laugh at oneself .Not many people can really do that .When you look at things that happened in the past sometimes you feel like like laughing at yourself .And then there are occasions that you wish hadn't happened an d that you had taken the logically correct path that is obvious now but wasnt even visible back then .

The sequence of events that followed after I started my company were of the second type , the type that you want to forget or even bury at times .You see , in all earnest effort , I was trying to do something .My company opened and I had a team that I knew very well working with me and we were in a business that I thought I knew very well (thinking now : I still dont know it that well) .

You see , we went on an order taking spree , which took us on a material buying spree .But we werent that good with collecting bills .This led to a money borrowing spree and before we knew it we were staring at HUGE credit and a lot of pressure .Under pressure , I went and borrowed from all the wrong sources (fisherman and loan sharks to name a few ).I ended up borrowing just to pay up the interest every friday (yes it was weekly compound interest :( ) .Things came to a stage were even if I sat at home ; there were pple looking for me to collect money from me every week .

There were a lot incidents of unpleasant characters sitting at home to collect , it got to a terribly unbearable state .I closed the company down and turned to the elders at home for some way out of this mess .They did help me and got me a HUGE loan from a known source .At that point I started applying for work and when you do that , it is never easy to get work ; nor does it happen in deterministic time frames .So in the interim , my wife started going to work as a stenographer with a small interior decoration company and here income was being used to pay interest for my loan every month .Both of were totaly dependent on elders for our day to day expenses and stuff.Believe me , that is not a nice state to be in .I am not finding any fault with anyone here , it is just that this phase literally killed whatever confidence I had in myself and made me a very complacent and defensive kinda guy .The exact opposite of the real me .

Did I mention that all my friends with me in my company conveniently chose to go away during this time !

After 11 harrowing months of this , I went to a famous Software Co to be interviewed for the post of a Tech Writer .The person who interviewed me rejected me for that post and outside the interview asked me to meet her.
I did and she gave me the mail id of a friend of hers in a HUGE company which was looking for a CONFIGURATION MANAGER .She told me "You are too good to be slotted in the Tech Writing job , you belong there , go there"

I was confused and thoroughly irritated , I lost a potential job and was aimlessly going to a place I did not know at all .Well I went to this place  (Polaris Software) , there were a few rounds or interviews and at the end of it all I was SELECTED  and they offered me a job paying 10,147 rupees a month .Twelve years ago , that was a HUGE salary .

That is where the recovery started .
More in the next post .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home